2022-2023 JRR Information
- Hiroshima itinerary: May 8-19, 2023 (departs from Portland)
- Tokyo itinerary: May 9-19, 2023 (departs from Seattle – bus from Mt Tabor to SEA-TAC will be provided)
Please note that the exact dates are subject to travel conditions, flight schedules, and ticket availability, as well as school board approval.
FAQ – updated whenever we have new information!
Important Dates and Deadlines – updated Feb. 15, 2023
All meetings will take place in person in the Mt. Tabor Middle School cafeteria unless otherwise stated and are mandatory for all JRR participants and one parent/guardian.
- October 20, 2022 (6:00-7:00pm) – Introductory meeting for families and students
- March 22, 2023 (6:00-7:30pm) – All participants, parents, and chaperones
- April 12, 2023 (4:30-6:30pm) – Tokyo participants and chaperones
- April 13, 2023 (4:30-6:30pm) – Osaka participants and chaperones
- April 27, 2023 (6:00-8:00pm) – All participants, parents, and chaperones
- June 7, 2023 (6:00-8:30pm) – Omiyage Banashi A (Tokyo)
- June 8, 2023 (6:00-8:30pm) – Omiyage Banashi B (Osaka)
What is “omiyage banashi”? It’s an event at which students present their research findings. It takes place over the course of two evenings in June.
Costs and Payment Schedule
The cost of the trip is expected to be $3400 per student ($2400 per chaperone). The overall cost depends mainly on the price of airfare, and so may change.
The trip fee has been broken into multiple payments and are due on the following dates:
- 11/15/2022: $600
- 12/15/2022: $600
- 1/15/2022: $600
- 2/15/2022: $600
- 3/15/2022: $600
- 4/15/2022: $400-$600 (depending on final costs)
Sign up/Make Payments through the ONK Trips App
NOTE: Even if you have signed up for the trip app in the past, you will need to make a new login for the 2023 trips.
Oya No Kai has a goal to offer financial assistance to any family with a financial situation that would prevent participation in the 5th, 8th or high school cultural exchanges. ONK will do our best to offer scholarships to all those in need and at a level which will allow participation in the exchange. Please make sure to submit a complete application and all required supporting documentation. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted. If you are awarded a scholarship but your child is unable to participate in the cultural exchange, the awarded amount must be returned to the ONK scholarship fund.
Scholarship Application – due 12/1/2022 (decisions by 12/15/2022)
Document List and Deadlines
All forms must be turned in to the Legal Forms Ministry in Room 101 (Bacon-Brenes) EXCEPT Student Medical Forms (see below).
Please keep copies of your documents for your records. We are unable to return originals.
Download original cover sheet with all dates and deadlines here. (Note: this has been updated with the new trip dates, and is included here mainly for the other information it includes.)
Notarized Forms – due November 17, 2022
NOTE: Notarized forms MUST be signed by BOTH/ALL custodial parents/guardians unless court documents proving sole custodianship are also provided. Please turn in originals, not copies!
Non-Notarized Forms – due November 17, 2022
Student Medical Information Form – due December 15, 2022
- Student Medical Information Form
- NOTE: If your student has any medical requirements or takes any medications, you will need a letter from their doctor containing instructions for medications and medical protocol. Mail Medical Information forms directly to Oya No Kai:
Oya No Kai
Attn: Japan Research Residency
PO Box 13786
Portland, OR 97213
Passport Copies – due January 31, 2023
NOTE: Passports for students, chaperones, and at least one custodial parent/guardian MUST BE VALID through November, 2023.
- TWO color copies of student’s passport
- TWO color copies of one custodial parent/guardian’s passport
- If applicable, TWO color copies of chaperone’s passport
Proof of Travel Insurance – due April 13, 2023
Families will be provided additional information about purchasing travel insurance after plane tickets are purchased, including coverage requirements and recommended vendors.
Proof of travel insurance should be mailed directly to Oya No Kai. (Email the trip treasurer at: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Other Questions and Concerns
We will update this FAQ as new questions pop up!
- PPS faculty lead: Matt Bacon-Brenes (email@example.com)
- ONK liaison: Yumi Wong (firstname.lastname@example.org)