Become a Host Family
Welcome an Intern into your home for a rewarding experience for all!
Home stays are an important and popular part of the Intern Program. Oya No Kai encourages families to participate in home stays, which not only supports the Japanese Immersion Program, but gives families the opportunity to further their understanding of Japanese language and culture.
Step 1: The primary requirements for an Intern Host Family are:
1. You live within a 45 minute bus ride of one of the three schools (Richmond, Mt. Tabor, or Grant: visit the Trimet website; http://trimet.org/go/cgi-bin/plantrip.cgi) ,
2. You have a separate bedroom for the intern. Bathrooms may be shared.
3. Your family will be able to host for 6 months (from October – end of March, or end of March – early October)
4. All members of your household accept and welcome into your home and treat your intern as a member of the family.
5. Provide a comfortable, safe, and supportive environment for your intern.
6. Please review the Home Stay Host Guidelines.
Step 2: Read and complete the following documents:
3. Provide copy of home owners insurance
Step 3: Home visit
Intern coordinator will visit your house, to meet all family members and see all rooms and settings. It takes about 20 min.
Step 4: Attend Host Family Orientation
In a home stay, a family agrees to host an intern for six months and agrees to provide a bedroom, meals, access to printer and Internet, access to a telephone, access to laundry facilities, a house key, and willingness to communicate on a daily basis with their Japanese guest.
Host families have found this to be a very rewarding experience for all. Not only do both host families and interns have increased appreciation of each other’s culture, they create friendships that last a lifetime!
For more information on becoming a Host Family, please contact Yoko Niki-Breyfogle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download application: Host Family Application – rev. 2013