Your Portland departure time:
Please do NOT wait until the last minute to think about your Westwind travel plans! Weekends begin on FRIDAY, although this is not a holiday for PPS or your employer. Arrival time is different every weekend because we must boat across the Salmon River during High Tide.
You will need to be on the road on Friday well before schools & offices have ended the standard day. Some families pick up kids early from school, and others take off the entire day. It’s up to you. If you work, you need to decide whether to take off the entire day, leave work early, or arrive late to the camp (see below).
Camp Westwind is normally a TWO HOUR drive from Portland.
We try to minimize the disruption to Richmond that can occur with many students being picked up for early departure. It is IDEAL to pick up you kids either BEFORE or AFTER the mid-day lunch/recess break, as it is much more difficult to find them during the break. Here is the current schedule for Richmond, by grade:
Richmond mid-day recess/lunch schedule
|Grade||Break starts:||Break ends:|
Portland departure time and river crossing time are posted below. Please plan to be packed, loaded, and on the road ON TIME!!
May 17-19 Weekend:
- Friday, May 17th
- Depart Portland by 11:30 AM (Pack a lunch!)
- River crossing into Camp Westwind at 1:30 PM
- Sunday, May 19nd
- River crossing out of Camp Westwind at 2:00 PM
- Expect to arrive in Portland around 5:00 PM
May 24-27 (Memorial Day Weekend):
- Friday, May 24th
- Depart Portland by 12:30 PM. (Pack a lunch!)
- River crossing into Camp Westwind at 2:30 PM
- Monday, May 27th
- River crossing out of Camp Westwind at 11:00 AM
- Expect to arrive in Portland around 2:00 PM
May 31- June 2 Weekend:
- Friday, May 31st
- Depart Portland by 11:00 AM. (Pack a lunch!)
- River crossing into Camp Westwind at 1:00 PM
- Sunday, June 2nd
- River crossing out of Camp Westwind at 1:00 PM
- Expect to arrive in Portland around 4:00 PM
(If you cannot get out of work early enough to catch the Friday boats, you will need to park at the road entrance to the camp, and hike or bike about two miles into the camp. It is wise to send your baggage earlier with folks taking the boat, so you don’t need to carry all your baggage that distance. Please let us know if you plan to arrive late on Friday or Saturday, so we can get you parking directions and gate codes, and so we know when to be expecting you.)