Camp Westwind Lottery
Dear JDLI community,
Do you miss Oya No Kai’s annual community-building weekends at Westwind? Are you a newer JDLI family who wants to know more about it? Are you interested in attending in 2022?
The Westwind Coordination Committee and the Oya No Kai Board are considering hosting three weekends again in May 2022 after a two-year hiatus. Below you will find updates on COVID protocols, costs, and available weekends that may affect the decision. But first, here are the basics:
What is a Westwind weekend?
Westwind is a non-profit camp on the Oregon coast where Oya No Kai has hosted family weekends for over 20 years. In the past, we’ve booked three weekends for the JDLI community to come together and build friendships through fellowship, relaxation, and fun. Learn more about Westwind.
If we go this spring, Westwind weekends will be different due to COVID. With that in mind, please read the information below and then complete this short two-question survey to help us gauge interest.
Westwind Updates & COVID Protocols
- Weekends available in 2022: May 13-15, May 20-22, May 27-30. In previous years we’ve had the weekends before, during and after Memorial Day. The weekend after Memorial Day is not available in 2022.
- Vaccination required: Proof of vaccine will be required for all attendees, including eligible children.
- COVID protocols: Masks are required when you’re indoors and not eating. You don’t need to wear a mask when you’re sleeping in your cabin. It’ll be up to you and the family you share with if you want to use masks in the cabin when not sleeping.
- No barge; hiking is required: You and your family will need to take a two-mile hike into the camp from the parking lot. Trucks will transport your belongings.
- Shared cabins: Families will continue to share cabins. You will not be able to request staying with certain families. While this is inconvenient, it’s the best way for us to manage the weekend, given the COVID protocols and all the changes. Thank you for your understanding.
- Costs have increased: The cost to attend will be $100/person on May 13-15 or May 20-22 and $140/person on May 27-30. The fee for us to rent Westwind has stayed flat,, but our cost for food has gone up. In the past, Westwind has given Oya No Kai a discount on food. We’re still getting a slight food discount this year, but not as much as before, and the rate reflects that change.
- You don’t have to cook: Parents will not need to sign up to help prepare food. With COVID, Westwind is limiting the number of people handling and preparing food.
- Dish duties are still a thing: Parent volunteers are still needed to help clear and clean dishes after each meal.
Take the survey and let us know if you’re interested in signing up for a Westwind weekend. Even if you’re not interested, take the survey and let us know!
CTA Button: Take the Survey
Westwind Coordination Team & Oya No Kai Board