What is a Westwind weekend?
Westwind is a non-profit camp on the Oregon coast where Oya No Kai has hosted family weekends for over 20 years. These weekends enable the JDLI community to come together and build friendships through fellowship, relaxation, and fun.
Important: For safety reasons, we don’t allow people to bring their child’s friend(s) for the weekend, even if the friend is part of the immersion program. If a child who is part of the immersion program attends, they must attend with their parent or legal guardian.
Use the menu at the top of this page to learn more about what you need to prepare for a Westwind weekend!
Want to join the Westwind coordination team? Check out the Westwind Coordination Book to learn about how you can help and how we plan for Westwind Weekends.
Most years more people want to attend Westwind than there are spots. This means that we need to have a lottery to fairly determine who can attend. Here’s the general process:
- We use a Google form to gather information on preferences for folks who want to attend Westwind.
- We export the responses to a spreadsheet and use a random number generator to rank the order of all the responses.
- We take a pass at filling spots based on weekend and preference. (We hold spots for interns, onsite hosts and the coordination team.)
- We try to place families with younger kids closer to the main lodge, if possible.
- We try to place families of kids in the same grade together, if possible.
Note: In the past we’ve tried to accommodate requests for cabin mates, but in order to balance the numbers and get the camp at full capacity, we can no longer take requests. Read more about the cabins.
Important 2023 dates
- 3/1 – Lottery registration opens. Sign up and let us know your date preferences.
- 4/1 – Registration site closes.
- 4/8 – We’ll notify folks who have been selected by the random number generator.
- 4/15 – Non-refundable $100 deposit due
- 4/29 – Remaining balance due
- 5/19-5/21: Weekend 1 – $125/person
- 5/26-5/29: Weekend 2 (Memorial Weekend) – $170/person
$100 non-refundable deposit is required for each reservation spot.
- If we can fill your spot, you can get a refund minus the $100 deposit. Example: A family of 4 attending on weekend 1 will receive a $400 refund ($500 family payment – $100 deposit).
- If we can’t fill your spot, no refund will be issued.
Westwind updates & COVID protocols
- Weekend 1: 5/19-5/21 – $125/person
- Weekend 2 (Memorial Weekend): 5/26-5/29 – $170/person
- Help needed for Japanese meal night: We need parents to help to prepare the Japanese meal. All other meals will be prepared by Westwind staff. This is hands down a favorite for all the families, so thank you for helping us keep this tradition alive!
- Vaccination required: Proof of vaccine will be required for all attendees, including eligible children.
- COVID protocols: Masks are recommended when you’re indoors and not eating. You don’t need to wear a mask when you’re sleeping in your cabin. It’ll be up to you and the family you share with if you want to use masks in the cabin when not sleeping.
- No barge; hiking is required: You and your family will need to take a two-mile hike into the camp from the parking lot. Trucks will transport your belongings.
- Shared cabins: Families will continue to share cabins. You will not be able to request staying with certain families. While this is inconvenient, it’s the best way for us to manage the weekend, given the COVID protocols and all the changes. Thank you for your understanding.
- You don’t have to cook: Parents will not need to sign up to help prepare food, except for the Japanese meal night.
- Dish duties are still a thing: Parent volunteers are still needed to help clear and clean dishes after each meal.
What to expect when you arrive Friday
- Plan to arrive at Westwind between 3 p.m.-5 p.m.
- The truck with all your belongings will be back to Wilson Lodge by about 5:45 p.m. Expect to spend some time helping unload all the bags then take your bags to your assigned cabin.
- Keep your family close to the lodge. Everyone needs to attend the welcome orientation where we’ll cover safety, meal times, and other general information.
- Dinner will be ready at approximately 6:30 p.m. Friday so make sure to pack snacks if your kids need something to eat before then.
- RICHMOND FAMILIES: Please pick up students before or after lunch & recess. It’s difficult to locate multiple students when they’re in the cafeteria and at recess. Here are the times to AVOID picking up students, if possible:
- First grade: 10:45-11:25
- Second grade: 10:55-11:35
- Third grade: 11:10-11:50
- Fourth grade: 11:20-12:00
- Fifth grade: 11:35-12:15
- Kindergarten: 11:45-12:25
Volunteer shift sign-up sheets will be available
Westwind doesn’t happen without our wonderful community group! Your onsite host will post sign up sheets for the following things we need help with:
- Meal Service Prep (setting tables, plates, etc)
- Post Meal Cleanup (dishes, wiping down tables, sweeping,etc)
- Talent Show MC
- Saturday Camp Fire Prep (help with hot chocolate and getting it to the campfire)
- Saturday Camp Fire Cleanup (Getting hot chocolate supplies back to lodge and washed)
- End of Weekend Camp Cleanup
Optional: Canoe rentals available (pay Westwind directly)
Westwind can rent canoes to individual families and take them out on a canoe trip. If your family is interested in this, let your on site host know. You’ll coordinate the date and time of the outings and pay Westwind staff directly on the weekend you’re there.
- 20 people max per trip, trips last approx 2-3 hours
- $20 -single canoe
- $25 – double canoe
What to expect when you leave
- After breakfast you’ll be expected to pack and clean up the cabin your family is staying in. This includes removing all your bedding and sweeping. It should look like when you first arrived.
- We’ll also need parents to volunteer to help clean up common areas (a sign up sheet will be at the lodge).
- Have your family bring all their bags to load onto the truck.
- Pack yourself a sandwich to take with you for lunch.
- All clean-up must be done by 11:30. A Westwind staff member will walk the camp with your onsite host and sign off that things are cleaned properly.
- If there are any areas that don’t get signed off, we need to make another pass to clean it.
- Do not start hiking back to the parking lot until your host tells you everything is ready.
- For safety reasons, the truck will take the lead when everyone starts hiking, this way there are no people on the trail in front of the truck.
- There will be people at the parking lot to unpack the truck. Depending on how fast/slow your family hikes, you may need to wait or help unload bags to dig yours out.