2023-2024 JRR Information
Registration is open for the 2024 Japan Research Residency! We have a new registration and payment portal; the portal also allows you to upload certain documents and complete follow-up forms and surveys.
Please note that a current Oya No Kai membership is required in order to register for the JRR. You may purchase a membership ($40) when you register.
Tentative Trip Dates
- Tokyo Itinerary: April 15-26, 2024
- Osaka Itinerary: April 15-26,2024
Please note that the exact dates are subject to travel conditions, flight schedules, and ticket availability, as well as school board approval.
FAQ – updated whenever we have new information!
Important Dates and Deadlines – Coming Soon
All meetings will take place in person in the Mt. Tabor Middle School cafeteria unless otherwise stated and are mandatory for all JRR participants and one parent/guardian. Dates are subject to change!
- October 5, 2023 (6:00-7:00pm) – Introductory meeting for families and students
- February 22, 2024 (5:30-7:00pm) – Introductory meeting for families and students
- March 20, 2024 (4:30-6:30pm) – Tokyo participants and chaperones
- March 21, 2024 (4:30-6:30pm) – Osaka participants and chaperones
- April 8, 2024 (6:00-8:00pm) – All participants, parents, and chaperones
- June 4, 2024 (6:00-8:30pm) – Omiyage Banashi A (Tokyo)
- June 6, 2024 (6:00-8:30pm) – Omiyage Banashi B (Osaka)
What is “omiyage banashi”? It’s an event at which students present their research findings. It takes place over the course of two evenings in June.
Costs and Payment Schedule
The cost of the trip is expected to be $3400 per student ($2400 per chaperone). The overall cost depends mainly on the price of airfare, and so may change.
The trip fee has been broken into multiple payments and are due on the following dates:
- 10/6/2023: $600
- 12/5/2023: $600
- 1/5/2024: $600
- 2/1/2024: $600
- 3/1/2024: $600
- 4/1/2024: $400-$600 (depending on final costs)
Oya No Kai has a goal to offer financial assistance to any family with a financial situation that would prevent participation in the 5th, 8th or high school cultural exchanges. ONK will do our best to offer scholarships to all those in need and at a level which will allow participation in the exchange. Please make sure to submit a complete application and all required supporting documentation. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted. If you are awarded a scholarship but your child is unable to participate in the cultural exchange, the awarded amount must be returned to the ONK scholarship fund.
Scholarship Application – due 10/17/2023
Document List and Deadlines
All forms must be turned in to the Legal Forms Ministry in Room 101 (Bacon-Brenes) EXCEPT Student Medical Forms (see below).
Please keep copies of your documents for your records. We are unable to return originals.
Download original cover sheet with all dates and deadlines here. (Coming soon)
Notarized Forms – due November 17, 2023
NOTE: Notarized forms MUST be signed by BOTH/ALL custodial parents/guardians unless court documents proving sole custodianship are also provided. Please turn in originals, not copies!
Non-Notarized Forms – due November 17, 2023
Student Medical Information Form – due December 5, 2023
- Student Medical Information Form
- NOTE: If your student has any medical requirements or takes any medications, you will need a letter from their doctor containing instructions for medications and medical protocol.
- Medical forms should be uploaded directly to the student’s account in the registration system.
Passport Copies – due January 5, 2024
NOTE: Passports for students, chaperones, and at least one custodial parent/guardian MUST BE VALID through November, 2024.
- TWO color copies of student’s passport
- TWO color copies of one custodial parent/guardian’s passport
- If applicable, TWO color copies of chaperone’s passport
Proof of Travel Insurance – due April 1, 2024
Families will be provided additional information about purchasing travel insurance after plane tickets are purchased, including coverage requirements and recommended vendors.
Proof of travel insurance should be mailed directly to Oya No Kai.
Other Questions and Concerns
We will update this FAQ as new questions pop up!